The Leadership Harrisonburg-Rockingham (LHR) program originally began in 1979 as the Community Leadership Program. Since its inception in 1979, the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Chamber of Commerce’s Community Leadership Program has been a great way to make contacts with other professionals in our area. It is an exceptional resource for building community awareness and enhancing team leadership skills.
Nearly 1,000 individuals have graduated from the program since the inaugural class of 1979-80! Community Leadership programs exist in many communities across the country, typically associated with Chambers of Commerce.
PROGRAM, MISSION STATEMENT & OBJECTIVES:
Leadership Harrisonburg-Rockingham is designed to broaden the individuals’ knowledge of the community (history, assets, challenges) and expand the personal connections within the class as well as to speakers and other individuals. Leadership development is woven into the program, beginning with a team building session.
Leadership Harrisonburg Rockingham (LHR) strives to create a lasting impact on Harrisonburg and Rockingham County by developing current and future leaders through community awareness, engagement, and education. The program is designed to expose current and aspiring leaders to the many different aspects of Harrisonburg and Rockingham County; educating them about the community’s past, present and future, including our strengths and opportunities that will help us build a better tomorrow.
- Educate: Educate participants about the community, leadership, traits and styles, and their own personal potential to become more engaged and influential in determining the community’s future.
- Communicate: Enhance communication skills in the workplace and the community while developing a network among LHR class members, the LHR Committee and instructors, Chamber leadership and the broader reach of the LHR alumni.
- Build Relationships: Develop relationship-building capacity with each other, facilitators, speakers, the Chamber and community leaders as well as the opportunity to utilize those relationships for a greater good through a class service project and in the future.
- Live or work in the Harrisonburg or Rockingham County.
- Commit to the required time to the program to gain the most benefit.
- Utilize leadership skills and community knowledge for the long-term benefit of Harrisonburg-Rockingham County.
- Have a recognized capacity for leadership.
- Have a sincere interest in civic involvement.
- Desire to positively impact the community.
The LHR Committee will review all applications and choose up to 30 participants to join the ten-month program. All applications are to be turned into the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Chamber of Commerce no later than July 25, 2019 with a selection process from July 26 – August 2, 2019.
Participants will be notified of their selection via e-mail no later than August 5, 2019.