Strength In Peers is recruiting to fill a Peer Support Specialists position. The organization’s service area includes the City of Harrisonburg and Rockingham, Shenandoah, and Page Counties. Both full-time and part-time work schedules will be considered. Some evening hours are required, as well as occasional weekends. Training and coaching in peer support skills will be provided.
The Peer Support Specialist is an individual with lived experience overcoming substance use, mental health, and/or trauma-related challenges who offers peers support to others seeking recovery. The Peer Support Specialist functions as role model, exhibiting competency in personal recovery and use of coping skills, and inspires hope that recovery and resiliency are achievable goals. The Peer Support Specialist supports individuals to achieve their personal recovery goals based on self-determination, personal responsibility, and the empowerment inherent in self-directed recovery. Specifically, the Peer Support Specialist assists others to: articulate their recovery goals, learn and practice coping techniques, monitor their progress, navigate professional and alternative services, and advocate for their needs and preferences with service providers.
General Job Duties:
- Provide peer support services to individuals with substance use, mental health, and/or trauma-related challenges in one-on-one and group settings.
- Educate individuals about various pathways to recovery and available community services.
- Help participants to navigate health care, behavioral health, housing, employment, and other services.
- Support participants to advocate for their needs and preferences with community service providers.
- Transport and accompany participants to appointments and community resources.
- Facilitate peer support groups and workshops.
- Collect and report data on activities and participant outcomes.
- A complete list of tasks and duties will be provided in the position’s full job description.
- Be a recovering consumer of substance use, mental health, and/or trauma-related services.
- Believe that anyone can recover and thrive; support all recovery pathways.
- Able to connect with others and inspire confidence, hope, and healing.
- Able to communicate effectively interpersonally in one-on-one and small group settings.
- Capable at using computer applications for data entry, word processing, email, and internet navigation.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of community services a plus.
Strength In Peers is an organization of individuals who have experience overcoming substance use, mental health and/or trauma-related challenges. Grounded in our lived experiences, our team advocates and offers support for individuals seeking recovery.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.