A&J Development and Excavation, Inc. is seeking an overall business leader and outstanding financial manager with a proven track record of success in a construction-related industry to fill the critical role of Vice President, Administration and Finance. Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, this position will lead key compliance, finance, accounting, insurance, and human resource processes throughout the organization. Additionally, the Vice President, Administration & Finance will serve in various leadership capacities on behalf of the company, including: Board Member and Corporate Secretary, EEO Officer, SCC Registered Agent, State Contractor Licensee, and 401(k) Trustee.
The Vice President, Administration & Finance will be a visible model of leadership, managerial excellence, and integrity, and will be responsible for the following duties:
- Serves as subject matter expert for all things related to compliance, finance, accounting, and insurance and drives many of the administrative-related strategies needed to support business objectives.
- Maintains the financial well-being of the business by continuously managing the company’s cash position, loans, and related day-to-day banking approvals and responsibilities.
- Oversees the administrative components of the bid process as well as customer projects, such as: contracts, bonds, reporting and filing, cost accounting, subcontracts, contract billing, change orders, and lien waivers.
- Communicates and consults with multitude of external parties (banks, bonding agents, outside counsel, consultants) and agencies (DOT, DOL, ATF, OSHA) on a diverse range of topics.
- Reads, interprets, and negotiates contracts, agreements, and documents from a wide variety of sources.
- Certifies that all permits and licenses are current and updated as needed. Responsible for all required training records and certifications.
- Mitigates company risk through constant property and casualty insurance assessments and audits. Ensures policy coverage is appropriate, current, and financially sound.
- Prepares, reviews, approves, and distributes financial statements to appropriate parties as required.
- Ensures all taxes are accurately collected/paid and updates tax tables as necessary. Reviews and signs off on company’s tax returns.
- Reviews and approves loans and leases for company-owned equipment and vehicles and submits necessary filings.
- Manages a team of professionals in accounting, payroll, and human resources.
- Partners with company leaders to promote safety awareness while also managing workers compensation burden and liability.
- Updates, communicates, and enforces policies as needed to ensure that company is current and compliant with necessary safety and labor regulations.
- Calculates and recommends pay changes, including bonuses and raises.
- Establishes employee benefit strategies and reviews benefit plans annually to ensure recruitment and retention needs are met while balancing cost constraints.
- Works with IT consultants to provide modern and efficient hardware and software.
- Ensure that business is conducted with the highest standards of quality and integrity.
The successful candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in Management or related business field. An MBA from a recognized business school and/or a Juris Doctorate is preferred.
The successful candidate will have an ability to manage effectively in a diverse environment. His/her management style will be open, fact-based, results-oriented and collaborative.
The individual will also possess the following experiences / competencies:
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years of related experience with a high-performing construction organization.
- Successful track record of driving results, implementing change, and improving business processes.
- Strong understanding and application of construction-related bid proposal and project management functions.
- Substantial experience in insurance, risk management, and benefits.
- Experience developing and driving execution of strategic operating plans.
- The ability to develop individual team members at all levels.
- Demonstrated capability to work collaboratively with internal business partners, external clients, as well as regulatory agencies, organizations, and consultants.
- Strong business acumen with both strategic skills and the ability to execute effectively. The strongest candidates will have a well-rounded background, but with strong legal and financial acumen.
- A results orientation and a tireless work ethic – determined to meet and exceed targets and drive accountability throughout the organization.
- Strong communication skills and the capability to present ideas, sell new concepts and tactics, listen to contrary opinions, and drive a strategy into an organization; a true change agent.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, intellectually agile, and a logical thinker who can work through complex business issues and make decisions quickly.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment to deliver exceptional results.
- Impeccable integrity, ethics, and morals.
- Track record of good corporate citizenship as a key business leader within the community.