Education: Requires a High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED)
Prefer previous experience operating a commercial motor vehicle to deliver refined fuel products or experience maintaining related equipment. Previous Southern States work experience a plus.
Licensing requirements vary by location and are based on state/federal regulations.
- Requires Commercial Driver's License (Class C or Class B)
- Requires Hazardous Materials Endorsement (or ability to obtain within a given period)
- May require Tanker Endorsement (or ability to obtain within a given period)
- Requires Petroleum and/or Propane Certification (or ability to obtain within given period)
Requirements -- complexity of requirements increases with grade level
- This position requires the safe operation of a motor vehicle to perform essential job functions and mandatory compliance with the SSC motor vehicle safety policy
- Satisfactory completion of one-on-one training with experienced Refined Fuels Driver prior to unsupervised use of equipment
- Able to learn and effectively utilize petroleum equipment
- Able to learn and effectively apply knowledge of SSC petroleum operations procedures and government regulations
- Able to learn and effectively apply knowledge of how machines and mechanical processes work to troubleshoot and perform general maintenance and repair of equipment and vehicles
- Able to utilize GPS equipment
- Able to read and interpret operations manuals, manufacturer's instructions, diagrams, and formulas
- Able to work well independently and follow safety, quality control and operating procedures at all times
- Able to add, subtract, multiply, divide and calculate percentages in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals
- Computer literacy to operate SSC business systems
- Attention to detail
- Able to communicate with customers in a professional manner
- Able to speak, read, write the English language in a proficient manner
- Able to work extended hours to meet business demands
Performs essential job functions while driving a commercial motor vehicle, working outdoors where may not be protected from weather conditions, and in a warehouse environment subject to seasonal temperatures and humidity.
Frequently exposed to hazards including:
- Heating oil, kerosene, diesel, gasoline, and/or liquid propane, and related odors and fumes
- Moving mechanical parts and vehicles
- Noise levels where hearing protection is optional per PPE Plan
- Dust, wet surfaces, vibrations, and electrical current
Schedule requirements will vary during peak and off-peak seasons. Extended hours and/or alternate work schedules are required and may vary by location. 24/7 On-call or Emergency Service Standby required by many locations. Ability to report to work on time and in adverse weather conditions is required.
Physical Activities & Requirements
This role requires continuous physical activity to perform essential job functions for the duration of the shift. At times extended hours are required. Description of physical activity is a general summary and may vary by location.
- Continuously bend, crouch, stoop; drive motorized equipment; manual dexterity (fingers and hands) for controls, tools and equipment; reach with arms and hands for extended periods while driving and operating equipment; stand and walk for extended periods on uneven surfaces; utilize hands in repetitive motion; utilize eye/hand/foot coordination; twist back and neck. Pull, push, lift, carry up to 50 pounds.
- Frequently balance, kneel, stack, sweep; climb steps in and out of vehicle throughout the shift; utilize feet in repetitive motion. Pull, push, lift, carry 50-80 pounds, may be assisted.
- Occasionally pull, push, lift, carry 80-100 pounds, may be assisted. Depending upon location, may pull or push propane tanks (170+ pounds) utilizing handcart.
Must be able to hear vehicle and equipment sounds, co-workers and radio. Must be able to speak to co-workers and customers regarding operations and safety. Specific vision abilities required by this position include: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Tools & Equipment
Hard hat, steel toed shoes, safety glasses, gloves, respirator, face shield, front end loader, forklift, handcart, manuals, forms, spreadsheets, telephone, writing instrument. Additional personal protective equipment as required by any and all product warning labels. Commercial motor vehicles and specialized tools and equipment, all of which may vary by location.
Southern States Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against individuals based on their race, color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, family medical history or genetic information, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws or regulations.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, functions and skills required for this job. Functions and requirements may change at any time with or without notice.