Director of Development
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
ABOUT UNITED WAY OF HARRISONBURG AND ROCKINGHAM COUNTY
Our Mission Uniting our community to empower people in need.
Our Vision Improved lives through strategically convening community partners to create measurable social
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director of Development engages our business and individual donors to help fund the critical mission of
United Way. They will help develop strategy, implement new systems, and cultivate relationships across the
community that will provide diverse funding sources and lead growth for the organization. This position reports
directly to the Executive Director.
▪ Strong interpersonal, analytical and multi-tasking skills
▪ Organizational and time management skills
▪ Ability to work effectively with volunteers and donors
▪ Leadership experience in a cause-related environment; a combination of for profit and non-profit experience
▪ Fundraising, Moves-Management, and/or sales experience strongly desired
▪ Experience managing volunteers and event planning desired
▪ Must be a confident and engaging storyteller and effective communicator, both written and verbal
▪ Ability to prepare and deliver effective presentations on behalf of the organization
▪ Experience in donor database management and ability to learn and manipulate new software products as
required to effectively perform the job
1. Works with board and staff to establish donor engagement strategy to meet organizational goals in
fundraising, volunteer engagement and community impact. Analyzes current strategies for strengths and
weaknesses and uses data to inform goals for future campaigns as well as new and innovative strategies for
2. Cultivates and increases community support for United Way by initiating contacts and building relationships
with businesses and individuals throughout the year. Broadens and strengthens donor cultivation efforts to
grow new donors within the workplace.
3. Oversees campaigns at local workplaces- including recruiting and training Employee Campaign Coordinators,
developing engagement tools, monitoring progress, and evaluating success.
4. Develops and oversees Campaign Team (volunteers and board members that provide direct support to
5. Develops and monitors direct mail, email, and marketing-based fundraising strategies that engage annual
6. Serves as the primary point person for annual fundraising gala, and donor stewardship events such as the
Wampler Society event and Skyline Society event.
7. Supports major events such as Day of Action through solicitation of business sponsorships and team
participation in the event.
8. Provides marketing and communications support to the Executive Director, and develops marketing and
communications plans to support fundraising efforts.
9. Learn about Community Centric Fundraising (CCF) and actively engage in efforts to build CCF principles into
fundraising practices of team and organization.
▪ Willing to take risks
▪ Demonstrates a high level of professionalism
▪ Takes initiative
▪ “All hands on deck” attitude toward work in a small office environment
▪ Capacity to understand and analyze complex issues and data
▪ Demonstrates a commitment to and passion for a collaborative approach to change
▪ Ability to work smart and improve efficiencies
▪ Keen understanding of return on investment within the context of strategic fundraising
▪ Demonstrates a high level of integrity in all aspects of work and relationships
▪ Demonstrates a commitment to learning and professional growth
▪ Superior organizational skills
▪ Focus on learning with an ability to incorporate feedback into work and performance
▪ Status: Full-time; Exempt
▪ Must be available for evening and weekend hours as required to support events
▪ Must have valid driver’s license and reliable transportation to and from work and required events
▪ Must be able to lift boxes weighing up to 30 pounds
▪ Must be able to communicate effectively in English
Salary Range: $48,000 - $58,000
Competitive Benefits Package: includes access to medical, dental, and vision insurance, group disability and life
insurance, paid time off, and 13 paid holidays.
Email cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references to email@example.com by May 22, 2022.
United Way of Harrisonburg and Rockingham County is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a
culture of diversity, inclusion, and belonging. Our staff, Board of Directors, and volunteers are the most valuable
assets we have. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, innovation,
self-expression, unique capabilities, and talent that our staff invest in their work represents a significant part of not
only our culture, but our reputation and organization’s achievement as well. United Way of Harrisonburg and
Rockingham County is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to pursuing equity in all aspects of our
work. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, parental status,
amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Uniting our community to empower people in need.